Thursday 17 October 2013

On Nine Muses' third comeback...

Hi guys!

So excited that Nine Muses is back with their THIRD comeback of the year, this time with a FULL album titled "Primadonna." The last time I heard about a K-pop group releasing a full album was Girls Generation releasing "The Boys" in late 2011...

I was so excited as well about the teaser of their first single for this comeback, as it shows the girls experimenting with a bluesy sound. One of the reasons I'm a Mine (that's their fandom name for those uninitiated...their unofficial fandom name was "Strutter", which was derived from the girls' background as models, which I like better...) is that the girls have been known for experimenting with an array of sounds while sticking to their trademark of vintage feel music. All the songs from their "Sweet Rendezvous" mini album sound 1980s, while "Dolls" boasts a 1960s jazzy sound.


Yeah I was wondering what Nine Muses' brand of blues would be like...

And on October 14, the full song came out. In all honesty, I was a bit disappointed. A lot of reviews have concluded that the ladies "play it safe" with their usual dance tune, and I can't agree more. While "Gun" is a decent song, still true to the Nine Muses signature vintage sound ("Gun" reminds me of 1980s action TV series (Hawaii Five-O instantly comes to mind)), but seriously why another dance track? ALL of their singles that were made into music videos since their 2010 debut have been dance songs. I really wish that they had promoted "Living Person", of their mini album "Wild", which has a slow R&B sound reminiscent of the mid-90s.


Doesn't it also remind you of Girls Generation's "Hoot"....



No comments:

Post a Comment