Tuesday 2 March 2010

Clooney movie's got the kooks...

I just saw Up in the Air on Sunday, and if I were to rate on a scale from 1 to 10 I'd go for 8. Really. Those below the age of, say, 20 might not appreciate the unique storyline and satirizations.

Anyway, one thing kind of bugs me in a way. You know Ryan Bingham, George Clooney's character, has to bring a cardboard cut picture of his baby sister Julie (NZ actress Melanie Lynskey) and her hubby-to-be Jim Miller on his company downsizing trips. Their older sister Cara asks him to help Julie by taking photos of the cardboard picture with tourism spots of the places he visits in the background, giving the impression that the couple are really there.

There's a scene in which Anna Kendrick's character, ambitious new recruit Natalie Keener, takes a picture of the cardboard couple held by Ryan and asks, "Why does your sister want fake photos?" to which Ryan replies, "You know she's kinda kooky." To me, the kookyness comes in the form of the cardboard cut picture. I mean, whatever happens to the wonders of Photoshop?

5 comments:

  1. hi Nana. Still remember me? Suddenly I searched your name. I dunno why, LOL and found you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Hi! Congratulations on the birth of Sheraz! I know it's late, but there's no such thing as tardy for good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. saya suka dengan ide cardboard dalam film itu, selain berfungsi sebagai fasilitas baik untuk banyak scene penting yang memajukan cerita, juga ide cardboard itu memberikan kehangatan yang esensial pada alur cerita yang didominasi suasana yang dingin. dingin tapi mesra. film yang bagus, review yang bagus juga isyana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dekaa! That wasn't meant to be a review, just a thought...While I agree that the cardboard idea gives an essential warmth to the generally cold tone of the movie, I just don't see the point. Anyone knows that even the most hardcore hippies nowadays turn to computers to create arts.

    ReplyDelete