Sunday 21 March 2010

The unconventional bride...

Out of all the looks I've created on Looklet, this one is my favourite, although no one has listed it as a fave. As already described, this look was inspired by a Cosmopolitan Indonesia bonus on budget weddings that was out sometime in early 2004. One of their tips on throwing an affordable yet memorable wedding was for the bride to source dresses and hair pieces from non bridal labels that still could pass for bridal outfits. They had amazing shots of models dressed as brides in dresses and hair pieces which obviously weren't released by bridal labels. If only I still had that magazine.

Now my own budget bride, as you can see, follows the rules of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and a silver sixpence in her shoe." The "something old" is the dress although, being released by Vintage (yes that's a brand), it's actually new. The "something new" is the white wedges. Very modern looking huh. I hope there's a silver sixpence in one of them wedges. "Something blue" is the blue cupcake necklace from Aloha Mi Lajki, which symbolizes the sweet married life newlyweds always hope for. The head band is supposedly borrowed...

Well the idea of being a budget bride is new, especially in Indonesia. Imagine what those ladies would say when they see the bride walk down the altar in something that's not a proper wedding dress! But as long as the dress looks classy, why not? And believe me, I've seen worse budget brides in New Zealand. My friend got married in a simple dress that seemed to belong to her grandma, the white color had yellowed a little and the only hair piece she wore was a bead band that looked like something from Supre or Glassons. The only jewellery she wore was her wedding ring. Another friend said "I do" in a Bo Peep-inspired dress and the first wedding I attended in Auckland, the bride wore a shapeless bustier...

No comments:

Post a Comment